Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I know it has been a LONG time since my last post!! ALOT has gone on, but this post is for last weekend in Munich, Germany! The day before we went it snowed in Maastricht. This is from our dorm window. The snow flakes were ginormous. This trip was with the KOT boys again... Ellzey wanted me to straighten his hair before we left. It was hilarious. He normally has curly red hair (I'm sure you've seen it in pictures) so it was funny to see it straight for the first time. Our train ride there was VERY long... so the outfit i have on in this picture is the outfit i wore for approximately 30ish hours. We left around 9:00 pm and took a night train. We got a quiet car, which was nice because we were going to sleep and arrive in Munich at 7:00 in the morning... UNTIL a retired team of very intoxicated polish soccer players joined our train at the next stop. They were very entertaining to say the least. As soon as we pulled up to the train station we all just looked at each other with big eyes because we could hear them singing some song outside... from that moment on we KNEW we would get minimal sleep that night. It was very fun, though. One of the guys was obsessed with Alison Krauss and made me put my iPod earphones up to his cell phone so he could record it. He was introduced to Tim McGraw that night.. haha, he looooved country music. He kept holding it up saying, "You sell to me for 5 euro? You are so kind!!" and I would just laugh and say, "yyyeaah right!" The guys kept talking sports to them because Adam plays soccer... that lasted awhile. At one of the stops we saw the police run through the aisle and into the next car. Apparently someone got arrested for having drugs. We didn't find that out till the next day. I feel like I am on Big Fish right now. Trying to make a boring story sound interesting, but oh no. This is ALL true. I keep waiting for the car doors to swing open and all the conductors to start flipping and dancing singing, "HOT, HOT, HOT... HOT CHOCOLATE!" like on polar express. At 1:00 am the conductors turned off the lights. We got a little sleep, not much, but a little. It was definitely an experience I will never forget. We arrived and after we walked up and down the same street for about 30 minutes we found our hostel. It wasn't time to check in yet, so we locked up our backpacks in the storage there and started touring Munich (aaaaat 7:00 in the morning). We ate breakfast and looked through our guidebooks to find something to do. Amy saw a museum that was "interactive" and we figured that was a good thing, so we went! It was really big and had alot of machinery, planes, boats, and stuff like that. There was a section that showed you how they build big statues and this was the example hand. It was pretty cool. I kind of want it for a chase lounge. After that museum we grabbed some pizza. One of the most famous concentration camps is right outside Munich. We went there for awhile. It was really really neat to see everything. It was an audio tour and you would walk around and press the button. At times it got eery (sp?) and I would get light headed, it creeped me out. It was good to see and learn everything, but it's just not one of those things that you are excited to go back to. There were animal statues everywhere in town, mainly lions. Later we found out it was because King Henry, "The Lion", founded the town. This is right outside a restaurant in the town square with the huge clock, the Glockenspiel, that dances and rings every hour. Everyone was sooo tired. We went back to the hostel, checked in, took showers, and got ready. We went to Hofbrau Haus that night. It is a huge restaurant with huge family tables. The food was so good! I ordered the plate called "Wiener Art". Don't let the name scare you- it was good! It reminded me so much of Bier Garden in Epcot. I kept telling the guys to wait for the "ticky-tocky ticky-tocky oi oi oi!!!" Sadly, it was never chanted.. but we did dance!! Of course, as always, the girls initiated the dancing. Amy and I got up and danced (or bounced around) with each other first. Soon the guys got up the nerve to dance with us. So Jim and I danced, or attempted to western dance to the German band music. It was SO much fun.
Jim, Adam, Ellzey and Strat.
We are just being weird.. as usual.
Ok, here's the normal one. THE BAND.


Ok, just look at the guy BEHIND Amy... hahahaha talk about a dropped jaw.
The next day the boys went to Salzburg for a "manly hike." Amy and I spent our day shopping and walking around Munich. It was fun to actually go IN to the stores. We finally got to buy something. I got 5 euro sunglasses from H&M (wow, I love that store.. there were 4 H&Ms in a 2 block range) because my sunglasses broke and I had been balancing them on my face all day. And Amy got a really cute vest. We decided she has to wear it everyday. haha, it's worked so far!! Going on outfit 9 with the vest. We usually just look at the stores when we walk by because the guys are with us.. It's a hard life, I tell ya. In the main square, where the Glockenspiel is, there was a huge peace parade going on because the attorney general was in Munich for a meeting. There were people EVERYWHERE... It was about lunchtime and we ate at a SUBWAY!!! It was sad how excited we got. Amy said, "Do you think we should be eating here? I mean, we are in Germany. Should we eat something weird and embrace the culture?" and I said, "I'm pretty sure we over-embraced culture last night with the wiener art. We deserve this Subway!!"


This is one of the lions!! This one was my favorite!
After shopping/walking around all day we got dressed up to go to a Jazz Bar that I had found on the Internet. It was called "Mister B's." It was so funny. This TINY place with Mister B himself serving the drinks behind the dark wood bar with 4 stools. There was a wrap around booth with about 6 people in there and we were by far the youngest. There was a live jazz band that sang american songs (finally!!!!) with a dutch accent, it was a sight to see. There was a sax, cello, guitar, and a singer. All the players were really good. The singer was funny. He reminded me of a mix between Wayne Newton's suave, Wayne Szalinski's looks, and Danny Tanner's geekiness (boy you can tell what generation I'm from). It was obvious that he was the star of the band.. chiming in with a random sand shaker and a "tzz chica tzz." By 11:00 the place was packed. It was a good thing we got there early enough to get the booth seat. Munich was definitely the funnest trip yet. Random, yet funny. Here are some random pictures from Maastricht. The boys eating outside the DELICIOUS and cheap sandwich shop by our classes. Typical facial expressions: Strat is just being weird, Adam is trying to be intimidating, and Jim is just nice.. haha


THIS is the staircase with the virtual computers that have hidden speakers. Stratton is looking through the holes in the steps. He is so strange. I love that kid.
Well, Maastricht is great. We are going to Madrid, Spain for our Carnival break, which is our spring break, to meet up with a couple of girls we know from Baylor (Devany Severin and Amanda Alley) that are on the Madrid Study Abroad program. We have been out of school since Friday (16th). The entire town shut down for Carnival.. The next post will be the Carnival update!!! Until then...

1 comment:

Lissa Anglin said...

Have fun @ Carnival! I can't believe they didn't chant at that restaurant. I've had some run-ins with drunk soccer players before, actually...when we were in China. They are loud. Love you! I think I'm going to get Skype so you can call me too.