Tuesday, February 27, 2007

CARNIVAL PICTURES

This is 3 days before carnival officially starts... Amy and I were walking around downtown and there were so many bands just playing in the streets.
This is Lady Carnival. She is put up at noon on Sunday and she is dropped on noon on Tuesday, declaring Carnival over.
Walking to the square. Everyone is in costume.






Haha, I like this couple.


Carnival Royalty- For 3 days the government holds no authority. It is the King and Queen of Carnival that has all the power to do whatever they want in the town. They plan everything.
Poor kid, she looks tired...

Royalty again.

Fire man?
I kept taking pictures of these kids... I think the lady in front of me thought I was being stalkerish.. haha, oh well!

These guys were funny. They had set up little activities for people to do.


One of my favorites.


I love looking at all the facial expressions. They get SO into it!


The best sax player there.
Haha, look at this guy. I don't know what he was looking at, but his face is priceless.




About an hour into the parade, Amy and I noticed all the kids were passed out.


Typical Dutch girl... displayed on a man.



Group of nun guys.

The cavemen had real mean on their skewer.



The hoboes.
Takin' a break?
These fishy costumes were the most extravagant costumes there.. incredible!


This looks like Taryn! (except not as cute:))These guys were cuttin' a rug!!






This band was the coolest of them all. It was all sticks and drums... and a single tambourine. The guy in the front would have a whistle and he would toot a rhythm and the whole band would just bust out in song and step side to side with straight faces.
This is Sue. She is the first local I met. She worked at Shamrock the night of Ellzey's Birthday. She told us to look out for her... But actually Amy and I were just standing there and she jumped in front of my camera, haha. We couldn't recognize her! I wish you could see her hair because she put dreadlock extensions in that are blue, yellow and green... She is an octopus!
Haha, this is the young dutch version of Emily Paige... always on the phone!



No one left behind!

Snow White



The corner of one of the town squares.





I love it. Everyone loves seeing everyone out on the square for celebration!!


There are carnival cartoon signs put up ALL over town. In every restaurant, school, building, pub.. EVERYWHERE! And they are usually huge murals on plywood that they just hang over their walls.



The kids were playing over the air vent.


This guy is a matress.. yeah.. a matress.

And that is the end of my carnival pictures!!! I hope you enjoyed them! Let me know what is your favorite!

4 comments:

Lissa Anglin said...

Wow! I LOVE these. You just get better and better! My favorite is the one of the kids lined up against the fence with the blur in the background. The costumes are all so unique and ornate- not like the pre-packaged ones we wear here. Thanks for posting them- I know it probably took a while- but they are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Incredible! Okay here goes... I tried to comment once before and it did not go through. Lady carnival, Snow White in the stroller, Fireman, the fence with the girl stalking the adorable children, the older lady with the jingle blell cap, the red, green and yellow band, the black drummer boy, all the fish pics (especially Taryn's look alike), and the lady with the brown coat hugging the swiss alps character are several of my favorites. I found it hard to distinguish between the best costumes or the best photograph. Thanks for sharing the experience. If we can't be there in person...pictures are the next best thing.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Who is that beautiful girl with the nunns! She needs to be in the movies!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.